Sago Porridge / Sago Kanji Recipe
Sago Porridge is made in different countries in many ways. This is one way of making Sago Porridge in Sri Lanka. Sago has an amazing power to cool down your body. So, specially in hot days Sago Porridge is a perfect drink.
- Sago – 70g
- Sugar – 200g
- Thick Coconut Milk – 02 cups
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Ground Cardamom – 4
- Water – 02 cups
- Chopped Cashew & Plums (Optional)
- Wash sago and keep them aside to drain water.
- Boil water in a pan and add salt into this.
- Add washed sago into water. From the point of adding sago it needs to stir this continuously. Otherwise this sago will stick to each other and make lumps. Also, it doesn’t need to add lots of sago for the porridge. While cooking the sago volume increases.
- Stir continuously until sago cooks well. When it is well cooked sago will become translucent. When sago cooked well add coconut milk into this.
- Then add sugar. Instead of sugar you can add jaggery too. Then the porridge will get a brown color. If you don’t want to add sugar at this stage, you can do it after cooking the porridge. Then you can adjust the taste as per each one’s taste.
- When sugar dissolves add ground cardamom.
- Thereafter, add chopped cashew and plums.
- Get the porridge out of the stove before it becomes thick.
- This porridge is more than enough for about four grownups.
- Serve this porridge hot. As cools down this gets thicker.