Mung Kawum Recipe
Mung Kawum or Green Gram Kawum is very famous in Awurudhu season. It’s really easy to cook Mung Kwum if you follow correct steps.
- Roasted green gram flour - 250g
- Rice flour - 250g (For the batter)
- Rice flour - 200g (To mix with green gram flour)
- Rice flour - 200g (For dusting)
- All purpose flour - 100g
- Sugar - 250g
- Coconut honey - 1/2 cups
- Eggs - 01
- Salt - 02 tsp
- Coconut milk - 02 cups
- Oil for deep frying
- Roast rice flour that we need for the batter around 03mins.
- Roast rice flour that we mix with green gram flour around 02 mins.
- To make sugar syrup, put a small amount of sugar to your frying pan and let it melt under low heat while stirring continuously.
- When sugar becomes dark brown add one cup of hot water.
- Then add remaining sugar, 01 tsp of salt and another cup of water.
- Cook this under low heat while stirring.
- To check whether your sugar syrup is ready, get a small amount of sugar syrup to your spoon and pour it down. If it pours down like a thick line this has come to the right level.
- Now get around 1/2 cup from this and keep this aside. This can be used while adding flour.
- Thereafter, add coconut honey to the remaining sugar syrup and cook around 01-02 mins.
- Add roasted green gram flour and mix.
- Add rice flour and mix.
- Add all purpose flour and mix.
- Once this is mixed well, touch this dough with your fingers. If it doesn’t stick to your fingers this dough has come to the right level.
- Then, get your board or tray and dust it with rice flour.
- Transfer the kawum mixture into this board.
- Level and make this thin while dusting with roasted rice flour.
- Now cut this into diamond shapes.
- To make the batter, beat an egg little and dd coconut milk and 01 tsp of salt and mix.
- Add rice flour little by little and mix. If you like you can add little bit of all purpose flour also.
- Mix this until this becomes a thick batter.
- Here some people and turmeric powder into this batter to get more yellow colour to kawum. If you like you can add 01 tsp of turmeric powder into this.
- Once oil is heated well, dip kawum in the batter and put into oil.
- When kawum becomes golden brown get them out of oil and keep on a tissue or a net.
- Once you are done with making all kawum, let them cool down and then store in an air tight container.