Sinhala and Tamil New Year is around the corner. Kokis is a traditional sweet we prepare for every New Year. Kokis is a very popular and favourite snack among everyone in the awurudu season. If you do following steps correctly it’s not a difficult thing to prepare Kokis.
- Rice flour – 200g
- Coconut milk (Thick) – ¾
- Egg – 01
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 1 ½ TBS
- Salt – ½ TSP
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix the egg and sugar together.Add salt and turmeric powder in to the same mixture and stir well.
- Add the rice flour with coconut milk and give a good stir. (Hand works best)
- This batter should be a thick one.
- Heat oil and when bubbling hold the kokis mould in the oil for few seconds until the mould get hot.
- Carefully, dip the heated mould into the batter and place the mould again into the oil.
- When you dip in the batter make sure you don’t submerge it completely. If you do so, it will be little difficult to remove from the mould.
- Once the Kokis start to separate from the mould use a wooden toothpick to remove kokis from the mould and removed kokis needs to deep fry until golden brown.
- Do the same with the remaining batter.