Sinhala and Tamil New Year is around the corner. Kokis is a traditional sweet we prepare for every New Year. Kokis is a very popular and favourite snack among everyone in the awurudu season. If you do following steps correctly it’s not a difficult thing to prepare Kokis.
- Rice flour – 500g
- Coconut milk (Thick) – 02 cups
- Egg – 01
- Salt – 01 TSP
- Oil for deep frying
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp (Optional)
- Mix the egg with thick coconut milk.
- Once this is mixed well, add salt and mix again. If you want you can add some turmeric powder here. But, that is optional.
- Adding an egg also optional. But, when you add an egg Kokis can be easily removed from the mould and it will give a better taste.
- Add coconut milk to the rice flour little by little and mix well until this becomes a thick batter. (Hand works best) Make sure not to add all coconut milk at once.
- Heat oil and when bubbling hold the kokis mould in the oil for few seconds until the mould gets hot.
- Carefully, dip the mould into the batter and place the mould again into the oil.
- When you dip in the batter make sure you don’t submerge it completely. If you do so, it will be difficult to remove the Kokis from the mould.
- When you put the mould into oil make sure it is not touched the bottom of your frying pan. If so, bottom of the Kokis will be flat.
- Once the Kokis starts to separate from the mould use a wooden stick to remove kokis from the mould and removed kokis needs to deep fry until golden brown.
- Initially, make around 1-2 Kokis and see how it is. If Kokis is too much thick add some coconut milk and mix. Also, check whether salt is enough for your taste.
- Once the Kokis is ready get it out from oil.
- Do the same with the remaining batter.
Thinks to keep in mind
- Mix the batter time to time while making Kokis
- Sometimes the mould will be too hot and the batter will not properly stick to the mould. If this happens to you let your mould cool for a while and then start cooking again.
- Don’t get the mould out of oil as soon as you put the batter into oil. If you do so your Kokis will get out of shape.