Sri Lankan Homemade Fish Buns
Sri Lankan Fish Bun, also called as malu paan is a very soft and delicious triangle shaped bun. This bun filled with a tasty and spicy fish and potato filling. However, you can easily replace the filling as the way you want. Out of the below ingredients we can make 10 medium size fish buns.
Ingredients:For the dough
Ingredients:For the Filling
- Mix yeast with some sugar. Sprinkle this yeast on lukewarm water and mix. Let it active by leaving aside around 5-6 mins.
- Once yeast become active pour it to flour. At the same time, we need to add melted butter, milk powder, salt and 1 ½ of beaten eggs to flour. Reserve some eggs to use later. Now well combine all these things with flour.
- Gradually add cool water and mix the dough. Get the dough onto a flat surface and knead it around 8-10mins by hand. The softness of the bun depends on how well you knead the dough.
- If your dough is sticky, you can apply some flour on your palms and knead. Don’t add more flour to the dough.
- When the dough is ready put it into an oiled bowl. We need to let this rise around 45mins or until double sized.
- Once the dough has risen to double sized, cut this dough into 10 equal parts.
- Now we need to make balls out of these parts. When you make balls put all the corners to the downside of the ball. When keeping them on the tray also, the side with lines should face down.
- After making all balls, cover and let them rise again around ½ an hour. When we let this rise time to time the bun will be softer.
- Meanwhile we can make the filling. If you want, you can make this filling earlier. For the filling, first put chopped garlic, ginger and cinnamon into heated oil.
- Then add curry leaves, sliced onions, green chilies, and tomatoes.
- Let them sauté around 1-2 mins and then add salt, pepper powder and chili pieces.
- After mixing all these things together add mashed salmon. Combine salmon very well with the mixture and then add mashed boiled potatoes.
- Once the filling and the dough is ready let’s start making buns.
- Get one ball and keep it upside down. Then flat and round the ball by using fingertips. Then keep some filling in the middle and fold it to a triangle shape. When keeping the bun on the tray keep all edges to the downside.
- Other thing is before keeping buns on the tray apply some butter on the tray or lay a parchment paper. If you keep buns on the tray without doing any of them, it’ll be bit difficult to remove the buns from the tray.
- After making all the buns again let them rise around 30 mins. Within that time these buns will look so nice. Before baking it needs to egg wash all these buns. For that, we can use the reserved egg.
- After egg washing, bake these buns around 15 mins under 200C in a pre-heated oven.
- Right after taking them out of the oven, we need to brush them with some melted butter and keep them closed around 10 mins. By this way we can have the softest buns with a nice look.