Christmas Cake Recipe
We all know, we need to do this Christmas baking few weeks ahead to Christmas in order to get the real taste of it. So, plan ahead. This cake improves with age. As you get busier with other works cake baking seem to end up at the bottom of the To do list. This time let’s get time out of your busy schedule and bake your Christmas cake earlier.
- Sulthana - 175g
- Raisins - 125g
- Glazed fruit - 125g
- Preserved ginger - 150g
- Preserved chow chow - 250g
- Glazed cherries- 125g
- Candid Peel - 125g
- Cashew nuts - 150g
- Butter - 125g
- Eggs - 6
- Golden syrup - 1tsp
- Semolina - 01 cup
- Orange (Rind) - 01
- Lemon (Rind) - 01
- Brown sugar - 01 cup
- Vanilla - 01 tsp
- Ginger powder - 01 tsp
- Old spice - 01 tsp
- Cinnamon - 01 tsp
- Brandy - 1/2 cup
- Almond extract - 01 tsp
- First of all cut, cashew nuts, chow chow, cherries and ginger into tiny pieces.
- Add all the fruits in to a mixing bowl.
- Add brandy and leave it to marinate overnight.
- In a mixing bowl add butter and sugar and mix well till it becomes creamy and puffy.
- Add Lemon and orange rind to the butter mixture. Mix continuously.
- Add egg whites and beat well.
- Add egg yolks one by one while mixing.
- Add vanilla, ginger powder, old spice, cinnamon, golden syrup & almond extract to the mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Add semolina and mix.
- Add this mixture to the marinated fruit and mix together.
- Put cake mixture into a baking pan.
- Bake about 2 1/2 hours on 120°C
- After baking, get little bit of brandy and apply it on the surface of the cake with a brush. This absorbs to the cake and gives a nice flavor.
- Leave the cake to cool down.
- It’s always better to make this cake few months before the Christmas since the taste gets improve with maturity. When you make this cake few months before, once a week apply some brandy on the surface. This helps to keep the cake moist.