Sri Lankan Spicy Chicken Curry
The classic Sri Lankan chicken curry goes with any food and the taste of it is amazing. Learning how to cook a chicken curry with all the spices and flavors is a key in Sri Lankan cooking.
- Skinless Chicken – 1kg
- Red onion chopped – 9nos
- Green chilies chopped – 2
- Curry leaves
- Lemon grass (Sera) – 1 piece
- Garlic – 3-4 cloves
- Chili Powder – 1-2 tsp
- Roasted curry powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Black Pepper – ½ tsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Goraka (Garcinia Cambogia) – 1-2 pieces
- Few cinnamon sticks
- Tomato chopped – 1
- Cloves - 02-03
- Water - 02 cups
- Salt to taste
- Wash chicken well and cut into pieces.
- Add curry leaves, cinnamon, goraka & cardamom.
- Add red onions, tomato, garlic, lemon grass, green chilies & ginger.
- Add curry powder, turmeric powder, pepper, salt & fenugreek.
- Roast chili powder in a flat pan for about 1-2mins until it becomes dark brown.
- When chili powder gets dark brown color, put it into your pot immediately.
- Mix well until all chicken pieces are covered with the above mixture.
- Keep this about 15-20mins to marinate. This will enhance the flavor.
- After 20mins add water and again mix lightly.
- Cook this well for about 30-40mins until the chicken is tender. Stir well time to time while cooking.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- This chicken curry is great with anything like rice, bread, string hoppers, Kottu & etc.