Sri Lankan Fish Rolls
Sri Lankan Fish Roll is a very popular teatime snack. This spicy filling covered with a delicious pan cake fried with breadcrumbs will make your mouth watering.
- Canned Fish – 150g
- Boiled Potatoes – 100g
- Big Onion – 01
- Garlic Cloves – 03
- Tomato – 01
- Green Chilies – 02
- Curry Leaves
- Ground Cardamom, Cloves & Cinnamon – ¾ tsp
- Leeks – 100g
- Small Carrot (Grated) – 01
- Cabbage Leaves – 03
- Salt – 01 tsp
- Pepper Powder – 01 tsp
- Chili Flakes – 01 tsp
- Chopped Ginger
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- All-purpose Flour – 350g
- Salt – 01 tsp
- Eggs – 01
- Breadcrumbs – 200g
- Eggs – 02
- To make the filling, heat oil in a pan and add chopped ginger, ground cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves. Cook around 01 min and then add garlic, green chilies, and curry leaves.
- Add tomatoes and onions. Sauté around 02 mins. Then add turmeric, pepper powder, salt and chili pieces.
- Add cabbages, leeks, and carrots. After that add salmon. After adding salmon, we need to check whether salt and pepper is enough for our taste.
- Finally add boiled potatoes and mix thoroughly.
- To make the wrapping, add egg and salt to flour and mix. In any case if your filling has too much salt don’t add salt here.
- Gradually add water to flour and whisk until you get a smooth batter. Make sure not to make this too much thick and too much watery.
- After making the batter, filter it. So that we can remove flour lumps if any.
- Pour little by little to a pan from this batter and make pan cakes. Reserve about 01 tbsp from this batter. We need this when making rolls.
- To make rolls, get a pan cake and lay it on a flat surface. Place around 02 tsp of your filling in the center of the pan cake. First fold the pan cake from the bottom covering the filling. Then fold from opposite sides. After that roll it up. Apply little bit from reserved pan cake batter to the edge of the pan cake, so that we can properly seal the edge.
- Then it needs to coat these rolls with breadcrumbs. For that in a large bowl, whisk eggs. Now dip rolls one by one in eggs and then roll on breadcrumbs. After coating with breadcrumbs on all rolls, if you like you can repeat this for the second time.
- Finally, deep fry these rolls until golden brown.
- Serve these crunchy rolls while they are hot for a better taste.