Ambarella (June Plums) Chutney Recipe
June Plums also called as Ambarella is a very common fruit in Sri Lanka. The fruit can be eaten either raw or cooked. Out of so many ambarella recipes ambarella chutney is a very tasty recipe that we can keep for many weeks and eat.
- Peel off ambarella, wash and cut them into pieces and remove the seed.
- Keep a clay pot on the stove & add sugar into it. Add water to the level until all sugar is covered and heat.
- When sugar heats well add chopped ginger, chopped garlic, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom.
- Then add vinegar. If you don’t like the taste of vinegar you can avoid using it.
- Add ambarella pieces into the sugar mixture, mix thoroughly and keep it closed until they boil. As ambarella boils it changes colour.
- Then add roasted chili powder, chili powder, and salt. Give it a good mix, cover and cook under medium heat.
- It needs to cook this while stirring time to time until mixture gets thicker.
- Meanwhile, we can sterilize the bottles that we need to put the chutney.
- When the chutney is ready get the pot out of the stove and let it cool down a bot. It doesn’t need to wait until it cools down completely.
- After that put the chutney into prepared bottles.