Kurakkan Kenda (Ragi Porridge / Finger Millet Porridge)
Finger Millet is a very famous thing in many countries due to the health benefits it has. Finger Millet can help us in many ways like strengthening our bones, controlling bad cholesterol, lowering sugar levels etc. Finger Millet is a good source of Protein to those who are vegetarians.
- Kurakkan (Finger Millet / Ragi) Flour – 2 ½ tbsp
- Jaggery / Sugar
- Cardamom – 03
- Coconut Milk (1st Extract) – 2 ½ cups
- Chopped Garlic Cloves – 04
- Raw Rice – 01 tbsp
- Coconut Milk (2nd Extract) – 02 cups
- Soak raw rice in water around 05-06 hours. If you make this porridge in the morning soak rice in water in the previous day night. Then in the morning we need to blend this rice.
- Dissolve finger millet flour in 2nd extract of coconut milk. For this you can use water too.
- Pour these finger millet flour into a pan and cook under low fire while stirring continuously. If water/coconut milk you put is not enough you can add more.
- When finger millet is cooked well add raw rice and rest of the coconut milk into this. If you don’t blend raw rice you need to cook them well before adding to the porridge.
- Then add salt, cardamom and chopped garlic.
- After that add grated jaggery or sugar. Cook the porridge little bit more until coconut milk cooks well.
- When the porridge is well cooked get it out of the stove.
- We need to drink it while it is hot. As cools down this porridge becomes thick.